Thursday, August 26, 2010

I was afraid to be alone. Now I’m scared that’s how I like to be.

It’s been close to 10 months that I’ve been living alone.  My apartment goes in phases of cleanliness and complete and utter disorder.  I like to measure my mental states by it sometimes. 

Things I’ve learned these past ten months:
  • Singing and playing my guitar whenever I want is worth the extra cash in rent.
  • Occasional insomnia bothers a lot less people when you live alone.
  • Drinking wine alone while drawing is okay; drinking whiskey, however, is not.
  • I can become much like a hermit and not see people for days (aside from work) and retain about 60% of my sanity, which in my book is pretty damn good considering it’s probably only 65% at best.
  • I’ve developed a closer relationship with my plants than I ever thought possible.
  • No Jen, you do not need to purchase a box of mangos because of a really good deal. Food spoils a lot faster when you live alone.
  • All those dishes piled in the sink ARE all really yours.
  • Cooking is a lot less fun when you know you’re the only one that will partake in eating the meal.
  • No checking with the roomies to see if the TV will be free when you’re in the mood for a flick is awesome. J
  • No one to watch the movie with is slightly less awesome.  L
  • Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwiches are nutritious and delicious and make for a great breakfast, lunch or dinner!

You can go a little further in extremes when you live alone with no one to draw you back or remind you that you are not an island.  My tendency to float off on boats to the exotic islands in my head is quite impressive.  I forget there’s a huge land mass I live on called CHICAGO and that accepting phone calls from friends might be a good idea before getting all Tarzan-like: having existential conversations with volleyballs (Wilson), or thinking your pet fish is really a prophet born into a fish-like body and he’s been trying to tell you about some world disaster for weeks now.  Tragically, you don't speak fish and when you watch the news and learn about the tornadoes taking over Kansas your prophet-fish gives you that all-knowing look while you sink into an uncontrollable guilt for not speaking fish.

Like they say, everyone should live alone at least once and perhaps, have a dog instead.

1 comment:

  1. Nice... I myself am embarking on the same adventure and I will take your advice on the peanut butter and jelly sandwiches! ha!

    ReplyDelete