Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Exploring the Dark Side


“If you hate a person, you hate something in him that is part of yourself. What isn't part of ourselves doesn't disturb us.” 
― Hermann HesseDemian

I often think of this quote whenever I have a jarring encounter with someone.  I think of it when I get annoyed about something or during those moments where I look at someone and my inner critic comes out.  My darkness; my enemy, exists within me.  It’s a good lesson and one I’ve recently been encountering on the mat.

Often times yoga teachers say that when you don’t like a pose, you should figure out why – what does that pose bring up for you? What stored up memories, energy or junk is stored there?  Are you ready to let it go?  What sorts of thoughts go through your mind when you’re in the pose?  Why is this uncomfortable?  Why are you angry?  Where is the compassion for yourself?  Why aren’t you surrendering to the experience?

In general, when you have a strong reaction to something it has to do with you.  As Hesse writes, “what isn’t part of ourselves doesn’t disturb us.”

So next time you’re in a difficult pose, frustrated by someone else or angry about something in someone’s personality, perhaps the lesson lies in looking inward. 

I borrowed this image from here.

I know, much easier said than done, but most things worth doing are.

3 comments: