Wednesday, April 10, 2013

My Hands





My hand gravitates towards yours
As though you were a furnace
On the coldest day of the year

I keep my hands to myself

My body remembers you
Every cell wants to joyfully leap outside of me
My olfactory senses indulge in a familiarity
Rarely ever felt to me

I keep my body to myself

I am an energetic ball of restraint
For fear of rushing in full force
And never bouncing back
And I am terrified

I keep my energy to myself
  
A natural inclination to lay my head on your chest
Fall into an embrace like a child to a mother’s breast
Like your strong arms can hold me

I keep my head to myself

My stomach has collected more butterflies today
Than it has all year
And I like the way you look at me

I keep my heart to myself

I am laughing it off when you discuss other women
And everything in your life that doesn't include me
Using all of my will just to brush it off casually

When really I just want you to
Remember all those little things
That make up me
Like the fact that I’ll never really give up coffee
But I’ll keep trying
And my brow’s arch so slightly when I’m focusing
How I always say obscenities in Spanish
But only when I’m angry
I always laugh at my own jokes
When no one else thinks it’s funny
The way my tongue presses against my front teeth
When I’m smiling
And all I really want to do
Is lie down here with you
With my fingers caressing your face

But I keep my hands to myself

2 comments:

  1. I dig this a lot. The two opposing voices...the tension in the piece...make this a great, touching, and well-communicated piece! Much respect, girlfriend.
    -Shasa a.k.a. Hashbrown (f.k.a. Uncle Butter)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful. I wish this was about me.

    ReplyDelete